History - The School of Design

History: Poul Kjærholm / Baum und Pferdgarten / Jonas Hecksher / Jacob Jensen

The development of research and educational programmes at The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, The School of Design reflects the development of Danish design and crafts. For more than 135 years, The School of Design has contributed to the development of Danish design with an international reach.

The school is founded on the Nordic design tradition, where functionality and aestetics go hand in hand with business sense. Today The Danish Design School is a mordern, business-oriented design school where new partnerships, ambitious visions and new technologies go hand in hand with creative artistic development and professional innovation.

The School of Design

The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, The School of Design has developed into a modern design school with an international perspective, and in 2010-2011 we will continue to take on a number of major tasks. We are moving to Holmen in the centre of Copenhagen where The Danish Design School will contribute to one of Denmark’s most dynamic and creative educational environments.

In 2011 The School started a process towards a merger with the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, School of Architecture and School of Conservation that was complated in 2012.

By 2010 we have already expanded Denmark’s design map through a merger with the Glass and Ceramic School on Bornholm, which has been a part of The School of Design since January 2010. This merger is a natural culmination of many years of successful collaboration.

1989 // Danmarks Designskole

In 1989, a new Ministry of Education Executive Order took effect, and The School of Decorative Art and The School of Interior Design were merged into one school on 1 July 1990 under the name of Danmarks Designskole.

In 1998, Danmarks Designskole passed from the auspices of the Ministry of Education to the Ministry of Culture, and the following year it went from being an independent to a Government institution.

1973 // The School of Decorative Art (Skolen for Brugskunst)
The School of Arts and Crafts and Art Industry finally merged in 1973 at the founding of the independent institution The School of Decorative Art. Whilst the pedagogical management was retained, a new Board, School Council, and administration were established.

1967 // The School of Arts and Crafts and Art Industry (Kunsthåndværker og Kunstindustriskolen)
Was created in 1967 by the merger of The School of Drawing and Art Industry and The School of Arts and Crafts.
The Schools were placed under a joint pedagogical leader whilst the administration was managed by Copenhagen Technical School.

1934 // The School of Interior Design
Was founded in 1934 as a private school on the initiative of the architect H. Willerup. In 1943, the School moved into premises leased from Frederiksberg Technical School at the address Falstersvej 5, Frederiksberg. In 1949, the School became a department of the Frederiksberg Technical School.

1930 // The School of Arts and Crafts
Was established in 1930 by the merger of The Craft School of the Danish Museum of Decorative Art and The Technical Society's Schools' department of art industry. The School was based in premises rented from the Danish Museum of Decorative Art in Bredgade. In 1940, parts of the educational programmes were transferred to Jacob Dannefærdsvej.
From 1950 onwards, the School was gradually brought together in Linnesgade 2 (Ahlefeldtsgade).

1875 // The School of Drawing and Art Industry
Was founded in 1875 by the Danish Women's Society in premises leased from the Industrial Association. The object of the School was to "provide women with training in drawing and other skills and abilities that might prove useful to them when seeking employment in the service of industry."
In 1877, the School became an independent institution, and the following year it moved into its own building at H.C. Andersens Boulevard 10 (Vester Bouldevard).
In 1889, the School's name was changed to The School of Drawing and Art Industry for Women. However, the School's name reverted to The School of Drawing and Art Industry when men were given access to the School in 1961.

  • Home
  • Sitemap
  • Tip a Friend
  • Speech
  • Print page
  • Bigger text
  • Smaller text
  • Contact

Download here

Made By DKDS - Publication 2011

 
Designing the future - brochure 2010